|Pop Culture Gadabout|
Thursday, May 25, 2006 |
( 5/25/2006 06:00:00 AM ) Bill S.
'SPLODING TESTICLES – Caught the season finish of House M.D. the other night: an enjoyable outing wherein our hero gets shot by the p.o.ed widower of a former case – then spirals into a nonstop series of hallucinations revolving around a patient whose symptoms grow more grotesque as the episode progresses (Yow! That guy's eye just popped out!) Basically, the hallucinations give our cranky diagnostician plenty of opportunity to mentally beat himself up, something we already know our miserable hero is great at doing, and lead Hugh Laurie did not disappoint.
I've grown attached to this medical series almost in spite of itself. The smart-doctor-as-arrogant-ass theme has long been a part of hospital shows (William Daniels in St. Elsewhere; Paul McCrane on E.R.), but to my knowledge House is the first successful m.d. series to place this potentially overbearing figure in the thick of it every week. I credit Laurie with 90% of making it work – the other 10% I give to the two adult docs, Robert Sean Leonard's Wilson & Lisa Edelstein's Cuddy, the only series regulars capable of effectively returning what our sharp-tongued lead gives out. (The show's trio of young doctors can'tbe allowed to consistently measure up – that one of 'em suddenly does in the season finale is a major plot point – since they're the audience House uses for his brainstorming.) When House and his peers get the razor-y banter flying among themselves, the show is at its snippy best. These aren't just Will & Gracey sitcom insults, people, this is a matter of Life and Death we're talkin' about here!