( 12/16/2006 06:30:00 AM ) Bill S.
OVER THE RIVER & THRU THE WOODS – Doing one of them seasonal family visits this weekend, so only have time for a few quick thots:
Gotta fly. See ya on Monday.
- Haven't been watching the show that regularly since Studio 60 debuted, but when did C.S.I.: Miami change from a forensic procedural into a dumb-ass Jerry Bruckheimer actioner replete with evil terrorists and big explosions?
- Okay, I succumb. It's not Eisner; it's never gonna be Eisner – but after reading the first ish of Darwyn Cooke's new Spirit revival, it's sure a handsome book to look at. ("Moist" villain excepted, of course.)
- The season's most inapt teevee commercial rock appropriation? To my ears, the use of the 13 Floor Elevators' psychedelic blues nugget, "You're Gonna Miss Me." Desktops made by and for acid casualties? Yeah, I wanna shell my hard-earned shekels out for that!
- Watching the season finale of Nip/Tuck last night, I found myself thinking, "Yeah, this series could end right now and do so on a decent note." But from what I've read, series creator Ryan Murphy is keeping mum about whether there'll be another season. This won-over viewer votes no.
- Great to see volumes of Kindaichi Case Files still trickling out into the bookstores – and by page count (some 300 pages), the newest, The Gentleman Thief, is a definite bargain. But Kanari & Sato's brand of old-fashioned mystery telling appears to've calcified as the series has progressed. Knew who the killer was less than halfway through this overstuffed entry.
- Jonah Hex's "shocking" origin is growing less so by the issue.